- Molecular analysis identifies key differences in lungs of cystic fibrosis patientsby UCLA Newsroom: Health Sciences on May 6, 2021 at 11:08 pm
A team of researchers from UCLA, Cedars-Sinai and the Cystic FibrosisFoundation has developed a first-of-its-kind molecular catalog of cells in healthy lungs and the lungs of people with cystic fibrosis.The catalog,described today in the journal Nature Medicine, reveals new subtypes of cells and illustrates how the disease changes the cellular makeup of the airways. The findings could help scientists in their search for specific cell types that represent prime targets for genetic and cell therapies for cystic fibrosis.“This new research has provided us with valuable insights into the cellular makeup of both healthy and diseased airways,”said Dr. Brigitte Gomperts, a co-senior author of the study and a member of the Eli and Edythe Broad Center of Regenerative Medicine and Stem Cell...MedWorm Message: Have you tried our new medical search engine? More powerful than before. Log on with your social media account. 100% free.
- Multi-drug resistant infection about to evolve within cystic fibrosis patientsby EurekAlert! - Infectious and Emerging Diseases on April 29, 2021 at 3:00 am
(University of Cambridge) Scientists have been able to track how a multi-drug resistant organism is able to evolve and spread widely among cystic fibrosis patients - showing that it can evolve rapidly within an individual during chronic infection. The researchers say their findings highlight the need to treat patients with Mycobacterium abscessus infection immediately, counter to current medical practice. (Source: EurekAlert! - Infectious and Emerging Diseases)
- Bypassing broken genesby EurekAlert! - Medicine and Health on April 21, 2021 at 3:00 am
(Penn State) A new approach to gene editing using the CRISPR/Cas9 system bypasses disease-causing mutations in a gene, enabling treatment of genetic diseases linked to a single gene, such as cystic fibrosis, certain types of sickle cell anemia, and other rare diseases. The method involves inserting a new, fully functional copy of the gene that displaces the mutated gene. (Source: EurekAlert! - Medicine and Health)
- Study aims to improve health of patients with CF across their increasing lifespanby EurekAlert! - Medicine and Health on April 19, 2021 at 3:00 am
(Medical College of Georgia at Augusta University) People with cystic fibrosis are living better and longer, and now investigators want to further enhance quality and longevity by better understanding the role of nutrition, body composition and exercise in their health across an increasing lifespan. (Source: EurekAlert! - Medicine and Health)
- Three - Drug Regimen Treats Cystic Fibrosis in Younger Childrenby Pulmonary Medicine News - Doctors Lounge on April 14, 2021 at 7:27 pm
Elexacaftor/tezacaftor/ivacaftor well tolerated in children aged 6 through 11 years with cystic fibrosis and at least one F508del - CFTR allele (Source: Pulmonary Medicine News - Doctors Lounge)MedWorm Message: If you are looking to buy something in the January Sales please visit TheJanuarySales.com for a directory of all the best sales in the UK. Any income gained via affiliate links keeps MedWorm running.